Deciding to paint? You have a lot on your plate and you need to consider every aspect possible. When it comes to deciding on painting your property, full emotions and excitement are attached, therefore, you need to pay attention to every single detail while choosing the interior painting contractors for your home.
An interior paint job can make all the necessary changes to your home as well as make it look like new. Though painting is happiness at the same time you need to take the rational approach to get the job done with perfection. Don’t let the excitement of the painting skip some of the most important decisions such as hiring the best interior painting services.
Benefits of Hiring Interior Painting Contractors For Your Home
Though there are many home improvement projects but painting the interiors of your home allows you to give an entirely new look to your home at a very affordable cost. Have a look at these benefits why most of the homeowners choose painting over all other home renovation projects.
- Paint increases the value of your home by enhancing the aesthetic and curb appeal of a home.
- It hides all the permanent marks, and stains from your home offering it a completely new face.
- Paint protects the surfaces of the home from the harsh environment and outer things.
- It contributes to the positive energy in the home. It offers a new life to your home while allowing you to start fresh.
- Painting is the most inexpensive remodeling technique to give a fresh, new and shiny look to your home. Just a coat of paint in your home can bring amazing transformation.
Considering these things, we can easily say that painting your home is great if you want to have an improved version of your home.
Procedure To Paint Your Home
Painting is a process that should be taken carefully- one step after another. Have a look at the entire process of painting your home explained by the best exterior painting services providers.
- Defining the project scope
- Getting inspiration from all the around
- Researching the right paint contractors
- Getting painting quotations
- Selecting the right paint colors
- Preparing the area to paint
- Use primer to clean the surfaces
- Painting and cleaning up
- Warranties and guarantees
- Maintenance and touching up paint
Throughout the entire process of the painting, make sure you pay attention to every single detail.
1. Defining the scope of the project
First of all, we need to define the scope of the project. Whether you might feel like changing the colors of your home or whether it is the time to repaint or someone of your friends or family inspired you to do the job, you need to first define the scope of the project.
Inspect the areas of the home and write down the areas where you need to paint.
Consider all the parts of your home when it comes to the paint. Though it is easier to inspect the walls of the home to paint we also have to inspect the ceilings, cabinets, trims, shutters, door, garage and so on. Consider all the necessary parts of the painting project.
Now you need to prioritize the list of the home, which rooms and area you want to paint? Note down all the parts that need to be repaint.
2. Getting inspiration
A sudden inspiration may be a reason to start your painting project. It is time to dig deeper into your home to know the requirement of your home.
Consider these things:
- Do I want to keep things of the same color or you want a completely dramatic change to your home?
- What type of paint do you want contemporary, modern, traditional or rustic, etc?
- Which color of paint is a good option for you, bright, bold or muted?
Get an answer to all the three questions to paint your home.
3. Research the right interior painting contractors
By now you have defined the scope of the painting project. Communicate with the interior painting contractors to choose the right contractor. Tell them exactly what you want and then decide which painting contractor can help you in achieving the same.
Sometimes people just choose the first contractor they meet and skip the step of researching the right painting contractor.
- First of all, you have to find a pool of potential candidates by searching online as offline for your painting job.
- Next, you need to look at the ratings and reviews of the painting contractors to decide to choose the right contractors according to the needs of your specific project.
- Check the business’s website to learn more about the business services.
Researching the right contractor is important to get the painting job done with perfection.
4. Get painting quotes from interior painters
Now you should call the top contractors to get the painting quotes. While getting estimates you have to provide the details of the work you want to get done. It helps them to understand the work so they can give you an accurate estimate.
Consider these things
- Is labor charged by an hourly rate or fixed price?
- How much the cost is for the labor and how much is paid for the materials required during the paint?
- Consider the estimates and make sure there is no hidden change behind this.
- Does this estimate includes any kind of guarantee or warranties?
- Does the schedule of the project meet with your time needs?
- How many people will work on my project?
- Does the contractors have prior experience in working with such projects?
Consider these things to get the best possible deal.
5. Choosing colors for your home
Once you find the right contractor as per your specific job, it is time to choose the right colors. These days, many painting contractors offer assistance in choosing the right colors. Professional experts can help you in deciding the right paint colors that choose the design and style you want to have in your home or that suits your type of home.
- Check the color wheel to learn about the colors and to decide which color will work great on your specific project.
- What kind of shade will be an appropriate option either a soft shade or a bold shade of color?
- Remember that the lighting will impact the color of the room. Rooms containing the natural lights show the true colors while other fluorescent lights can change the tone of the color.
- Consider the mood and the purpose of the home while deciding the right colors for your home.
- At last, choose the final paint finish with glosses.
Remember that your chosen colors define the personality you have therefore make sure you choose the right colors for your home. The colors for interior walls and exterior surfaces are different and hence must be considered separately. You can take help from the best painting services providers to find the best color.
6. Preparation of the area for paint
The preparation of the area is an important step to get the results that you want.
- Clean the surface and remove the dirt and debris from the surfaces.
- Remove all the wall hangings from the walls and then move these wall hangings and décor to a safe place away from the paint.
- Either move furniture or cover it to save them from the drops of the paint.
- Tape the corners or surfaces that you don’t want to paint.
- Also, don’t forget to cover the floor to save it from the paint drops.
Preparation is important to get the right finish at the walls of your home.
7. Priming the walls
Priming is a process of adding an extra layer of paint coat to your home to give a finished look to it. While in some cases, priming is not necessary, but it is important especially when the surface is uneven.
8. Painting and cleanup
Finally, the step for what you were waiting for has come. You should not directly jump to painting skipping all the above-given tasks. Now you have chosen the right painting contractor as well as the right color so you will have peace of mind that you will get the painting task to be done with perfection. The painting will involve different kinds of brushes, rollers to get a smoother finish. A reputable contractor will focus on detailing therefore, you don’t have to worry about anything.
After painting the home, necessary touch-ups have been made to ensure the complete finish. It is the responsibility of the contractor to clean up the area. This step includes the task of cleaning up by removing all the tools, taking out the tape, moving furniture to their original place and so on.
It is the final step when you have to inspect your home to view the kind of work the contractor has offered you. Inspect the quality and the finish of the paint. If you have followed the complete process, chances are you will get satisfactory work.
Get a Free Estimate
10. Warranties and Guaranties
Most of the reputable contractors offer warranties and guarantees on their work because they are sure their offered services are good. They usually offer warranties on both the kind of work they offer as well as the materials they have used.
11. Maintenance and touching up paint
It is time to say goodbye to your painting contractor. Not you must keep the paint maintained. Usually, painting requires periodic cleaning so you don’t have to worry much.
Hope this guide helps you in painting your home to perfection and bring out the best aesthetic appeal from your property.
Customize your Painting Project to get the best Painting Contractor
1. Understand your Needs
If you want to get a good result from your painting project, personalize your project. Understanding your needs before you start obtaining estimates from painting contractors will go a long way. Follow these tips:
- Interior Painting: Create a list of the entire painting you want to be done for each room in your home including removal of wallpaper, popcorn ceiling, cabinet painting, or crown molding.
- Exterior painting: Check the type of siding you have, whether stucco, wood, aluminum, or vinyl, and any other major areas.
- Paint colors: Select colors and/or finishes or remember to ask your painting contractors to help with a color recommendation.
- Expectations: Create a list of things you were not satisfied with during your last paint job or last painting contractor. Additionally, identify your expectations to ensure clarity of communication with your painting contractor from the beginning of the project.
- Budget: Plan a reasonable budget. A painting contractor should bid for your painting project, provide recommendations, and personalize their proposal to meet your budget.
2. Meet Painting Companies
Always ask questions and collect information to help you when making a decision. It is time to proceed by contacting your remaining screened painting contractors and arrange in-home estimates. There may be no similarity in how each painting company offers its services. You must find a way to personalize your expectation to conform to the mode of operation of the painting contractor you finally hire.
For instance, you might have a talk with someone who handles everything – they find new customers, sell, issue estimates and pick up painting materials, handle the entire painting, act as the customer service, billing, customer follow-up, project management, operations, scheduling, and paperwork.
They are your go-to if you want everything packed by a single company with a little assistance from friends. On the other hand, there is also a business owner who controls and manages the entire people and processes involved in your painting job from the beginning to the end.
They are not directly handling the actual work, but they understand everything concerning the painting job. Their reputation is on the line, and they always want to make sure their customers are satisfied.
Find some questions to ask your painters during the estimate appointment below:
- Do you provide a written guarantee?
- Do you possess a license and general liability insurance and workers’ compensation? Can you give copies of your insurance certificate?
- Who is my contact person all through the entire project?
- Who is in charge of my project planning and supervision?
- Can you provide references I can contact? Have you worked on nearby homes that I can quickly visit?
- What are your accepted methods of payment? Is financing available?
- Will I be required to be home all through your paintwork?
- What protective measure do you have for my property and belongings?
- How and how frequently do you clean up where you work?
- When could you begin the project? When will it take you to finish the job?
- What is the duration? How might this timing be affected by weather or other situations?
What should I expect a Painting Contractor to do?
The majority of painting contractors will accept any kind of painting job, whether to just paint your door, or the entire building. Assuming your contractor will be painting your home interior, the following should be expected:
- They will cover all areas that are not to be painted like kitchen counters, cabinets, floors, and windows.
- They will perform little surface preparatory work like light sanding and scraping off loose paint, cleaning the wood surfaces, and applying sackcloth where needed before they start painting. The focus here is that the preparatory task will be minor as the painters’ arrival at your house assumes that the house is already prepared for painting.
- They will remove doors, electric plates, lights, and other disturbances.
- They will remove furniture far from the work area to have easy access to the areas to be painted. This is not their job, so you must ask them this before you hire.
- They will prime your new drywall or the existing paint using an interior latex primer.
- They will apply 2 coats of the interior latex paint color on the walls.
- They will apply 2 coats of ceiling paint.
- They will paint the trim and molding such as window muntins, window trim, baseboards, and so on.
- Performing touch-ups where needed.
- Performing clean-ups for accidents as drips will surely occur regardless of how effective the coverage with drop cloths was.
- Last evaluation by the painting supervisor and homeowner.
How much does it cost?
More than you budgeted for. There are painting contractors who use certain formulas to calculate their cost, such as finding the total square footage of walls and ceilings with the linear measurement of trim. They will figure out the preparation time, and the costs for paint and primer.
The majority of painting contractors will issue an estimate based on their past experience on your type of job. Although this estimate may not satisfy all your specifics, it is mostly a fair and reasonable figure. As a homeowner, you can only compare the quote you received from painting contractors to know which estimate is good for you.
Ensure you add any extensive preparation involved in your job to your quote. All the painting materials used, as well as a reasonable quantity of paint to be used must all be included in your quote. Go through the painting contract thoroughly to prevent any occurrence of surprises at the completion of the paint job.
If the contract price is fixed, you should pay the fixed amount for the project cost. The contracted price should include any additional costs, such as moving. The fixed-price contract is very popular, and it contains material and labor costs. Another type of contract is the time and material contract in which customers are charged an hourly labor cost, including the materials.
Generally, the fixed-price contract is more preferred as you will know in advance how much your paint job would cost you. The actual areas to be painted must be indicated in the contract, the preparatory or clean-up to be done by the painter, the protective measure the painter put in place for your belongings, the duration of the entire project, as well as the mode of payment.
Should I get a painter or do the painting myself?
It cost between $30 and $60 to paint the room yourself. Buying painting materials could cost homeowners to spend between $200 and $300 to paint their room. Hired professionals will give you the best results in the form of a higher-quality paint job and also save you more time.
Which paint is better and cost effective, Home Depot paint or Sherwin Williams paint?
You should know that even the majority of lower quality paints from Home Depot can be expensive with no coupon, contractor pricing, or paint sale. Paints like Emerald urethane, Super Paint, Cashmere, and Duration are great paints that are far better in performance than cheap Behr paint available at Home Depot.
What are the things to check in a house painter?
Request a written estimate from each painter. The estimate should contain labor breakdown, material costs, the number of coats of primer and paint, materials brand and model, and details on the level of surface preparatory work they will do. Check their references and recent paintwork.
What is the hourly income of exterior painters?
You should prepare to pay an average of $50 per hour for house painting jobs. You should also note that painters with more experience may charge up to $70 per hour when hired to paint specialty objects such as murals.
Is priming necessary before painting?
It is not necessary to prime on recently finished walls, but using one is a good choice if the finish is covered with a greasy film or is glossy. Do not hesitate to prime using latex primer if you are painting an old house suspected to be previously painted with oil-based paint in order to improve the latex topcoat adhesion.
What should I expect if you don’t use a primer before painting?
Drywall helps improves paint adhesion due to its glue-like base. If you do not prime, you expose your paint job to peeling, especially during the humid season. It might be easier to blame the quality of paint used, but the major cause is your decision to skip priming.
Painting a three-bedroom house will take how long?
About four days. A crew of three good painters should be able to repaint a ceiling and walls in a 3-bedroom house of about 1,900 sq-ft with minor preparatory work. About two days is required for painting moldings, doors, and windows.
What is the order right for painting a room?
There is a certain order followed by professionals when painting a room. They first paint the trim, followed by the ceiling, then the walls. The order is so because taping off the trim is faster and easier than taping off the walls.
Dallas Paints is available for you if you need a painting contractor in Dallas Area. They are experienced skilled painters and have been in the business for more than 40 years. Their offerings include different styles and methods that satisfy residential and commercial painting needs for both interior and exterior painting jobs. Their painters are familiar with different types of finishes and plasters, which include Venetian plasters, Old Italian, Marmorino, and much more.