Have you had an itch to bring your home into the 21st century with a new interior paint job? Many great things come with a fresh visual update to your home, including increased property values and general aesthetic appeal. If you want to give your home’s market value a boost or are just ready to give your home a whole new look and feel, you can start with learning the average cost to paint a house interior to begin the process.
Determining painting costs can seem like a tricky process, but it is really up to a few essential factors. These include whether or not you want to handle painting your home’s interior yourself, or if you’d rather hire professional painters to take care of the job.
The Average Cost to Paint Your Home
To determine the average total cost to paint your home, you’ll need to decide between the DIY approach or hiring a team to take care of it for you. Here are some of the things you should think about when deciding which option to pick.
Painting your home yourself
If you choose to make painting your home a DIY project, then you’ll need to think about several costs since you’ll have to provide the paint and other necessary materials for yourself.
You’ll need to think about the types of paint you’ll need, how many coats of paint you’ll need for the walls and ceilings, and you’ll need to purchase drop cloths to cover the floors and minimize the potential mess.
While painting your home yourself is a good way to save money, it also will mean a good deal of work for you, so make sure you take this into account when deciding the best course of action. On average, homeowners handling the process themselves can expect to spend at least $700.
Hiring professional painters
Hiring professionals to paint a house is definitely the more expensive option to consider, but it comes with several benefits over handling the job yourself.
While professionals will be able to provide the necessary paints and materials, you’ll have to consider the square footage of your home, along with incurring labor costs. These will help determine the final price you’ll pay. For a 2000 square foot home, the average cost to paint the interior of your home is around $2115, with the majority of contractors charging about $1 to $3 per square foot of your home on average to paint.
Before You Start
Whether you intend to tackle the job yourself or hire professionals to paint your home’s interior, you’ll have some prep work to handle before the painting can commence. Here are some things you should always make sure you take care of before you or the professionals begin painting your home’s interior:
1. Make sure furniture is moved
You don’t want your furniture to get in the way of yourself or the painters and run the risk of getting ruined by paint. Begin by moving furniture that may block the path. You could store furniture in an outdoor shed if you have one, store it in the garage or basement, or rent a storage unit while your home’s interior is being painted.
2. Ensure walls and ceilings are smooth and good to go
Interior painting usually involves painting your walls, so make sure any damaged walls are sanded and patched, and that any cracks in the walls are repaired before beginning. After all, smooth walls are the easiest to paint! The same is true if you are planning on painting your ceiling.
3. Prepare for the mess
Painting can get messy, so you will want to make sure you are all set on that front, as well. Lay down drop cloths and taping to ensure that any paint that might spill is caught by the cloths, instead of your floor.
Getting the Necessary Paints
If you’re going to handle this job by yourself, then you’re going to be responsible for providing the paint and the painting materials. You’ll have to decide the color and types of paint you want, as well as ensure you have enough to cover the entirety of your home’s interior.
You’ll want to begin by ensuring you purchase plenty of paint to get the job done. On average, paint costs anywhere from $15 to even $50 a gallon, depending on the brand of paint you choose. You should also keep in mind that each gallon of paint should be able to cover up to 400 square feet of your home’s interior.
What Are the Types of Paint?
You’ll have these two main types of paint to choose from when you are figuring out which paints you’d like to purchase:
- Latex paints: Latex paint is usually applied to walls and ceilings. Latex paint is durable and long-lasting and is also known for its quick time to dry.
- Oil-based paints: Oil-based paints are a great choice for painting your home’s trim and baseboards. Oil-based paints are durable, provide good coverage for the price, and is well known for its great resistance to stains. This type of paint can be harder to clean, however, and is well known for taking a bit longer to dry than its latex-based alternative.
High gloss paints can cost quite a bit more than normal paints, but they are incredibly easy to clean and look great, particularly in rooms like the kitchen or the bathroom, where they provide a natural shine all their own. You can find paint gloss in a few different types, including flat good, eggshell, satin gloss, semi-gloss, and high gloss.
You should always remember your paint primer before you begin almost any paint job because it can definitely be a necessity. You can find a quality paint primer for about $10 to $30 a gallon. As the different types of paint, there are also a few types of paint primer to choose from, depending on what you’re going for:
- Latex-based primer: As the name implies, latex-based primer is best used with latex paint.
- Oil-based primer: Just like with latex primer, oil-based primer goes best with oil-based paints.
- Stain blocking primer: This type of primer will stop the majority of stains from walls or ceilings from bleeding through your new paint job, and also affords a good deal of mildew resistance.
- Paint and primer combinations: You can find paint and primer combos which are a great choice for giving an additional coat (make sure it is the same color as the paint it is going over), or providing touch-ups to the paint job where needed.
Get a Free Estimate
Frequently Asked Questions
Painting your home’s interior can seem like quite the tall order if you’ve never done it before. Even for painting veterans, it is a task to make sure you have a good budget for and plenty of time to handle. Do you have any questions about painting your home’s interior? Check out some of these frequently asked questions about interior painting and see if your question has already been answered:
How much does interior painting cost?
Based on the size of your room, be ready to pay between $250 and $1200 per room. The cost of surface area would cost $3 to $8/sq-ft. The average for most jobs will be between $3.50 to $4.50/sq-ft. One of the best ways to give your space a refreshing look is to paint it. You can also consider adding a bit of texture to give it an attractive and new look. Make sure you shop around to get the best interior painting deal for your house.
How much does painting the interior of a three-bedroom house?
Painting a three-bedroom home will cost an average of about $300 to $900. This will be determined by the type of paint, the room size, and the complexity of the painting task.
How do painters arrive at their quote?
You can get consultation and measurements by visiting the customer’s space
- A painter will determine the estimated time for completing the work
- The painter will then multiply both the estimated time and the cost of labor
- The painter will then add the cost for painting materials, overhead costs, and the spaces needed to complete the job.
How much does painting the interior of a house that measures 2500 sq-ft cost?
Many factors will determine how much to paint the interior of a 2500sq-ft or 232sqm house. Painting a house in the United States costs an average of $8.6 to $38.8 per Sqm. This implies that the cost of painting home of 2500sq-ft or 232Sqm can range between $2,000 and $9,000 in the US.
What quantity of paint per square foot?
- About 400 sq-ft can be covered by a gallon of paint, which can include a small room like a bathroom.
- About 800 sq-ft can be covered by 2-gallon cans of paint, which is adequate enough to paint a room of average size. This quantity is mostly the required, especially when you need coverage from the second coat.
- About 1200 sq-ft can be covered by 3-gallon cans of paint. This is perfectly enough to paint a large room or two rooms with an average size joined together. If your rooms have vaulted ceilings, then we advise you to consider this extra.
- About 1600 sq-ft can be covered by 4-gallon cans of paint and adequate to paint many average rooms. If you have many large rooms in your home, then this quantity of paint is worth considering.
What is the cost of painting a house that measures 2000sq-ft?
The quotes of the interior painting are different from that if exterior painting. The majority of painting contractors charge by the square meter and consider factors like their experience, location, size, and the level (stories) of the building when giving a price. Painting a house in the United States costs an average of $8.6 to $38.8 per Sqm. This implies that the cost of painting home of 2500sq-ft or 232Sqm can range between $2,000 and $9,000 in the US.
Should I buy cheaper or more expensive paint?
This is a matter of preference, but you should keep in mind that the more expensive paints are typically of better quality and durability than their cheaper alternatives. Higher-end paints usually last a good deal longer and can be much easier to clean when the time comes. It’s a good rule of thumb to go ahead and purchase the best quality of paint that your budget allows.
What essential supplies are needed for interior painting?
You’ll need to make sure you have all the paint you plan to use, primer, paint brushes, sandpaper, painters tape, a paint roller, drop cloths, a paint tray, a ladder for hard to reach and high areas, and a paint sprayer if necessary.
How much do professional painters charge per hour?
If you would rather have the professionals handle the job, then you might be wondering what their hourly cost is going to be. While many painters may charge anywhere from $20 to $50 an hour for interior painting, the vast majority of professional painters actually prefer to charge per square foot for painting, or charge for the whole project instead.
Giving Your Home’s Interior a New Sheen
Nothing says fresh like a brand new paint job to your home’s interior. Not only will your home see higher market value from a brand new paint job should you ever decide to sell it, but it also makes your home seem like a whole new place for you and your family. Whether you intend to tackle the job yourself or bring in the professionals, you’ll be pleased with your new paint job when it is all said and done.