No matter whether you are looking for a commercial painting contractor to do exterior painting or interior painting job, you should always pay attention to every detailing to accomplish the job perfectly. Remember that the aesthetic appeal of a home or commercial building estimates its value. And paint plays a significant role in enhancing the aesthetic appeal of a home.
A homeowner may choose a DIY project to paint home but when it comes to business building or commercial office, you can’t make it a DIY project just to save a little money. It takes a professional to do this job else you may end up costing twice while spending twice the total time taken by a professional. Hiring a commercial painting contractor also saves you from having to fix mistakes.
You should choose the right painting contractor to get the job done at the best possible price with the greatest quality.
Tips to Choose The Right Commercial Painting Contractor
Prepare a list of painting contractors
The very first thing to do is to find out the potential contractors of your area that are working according to your requirements. These days, the internet is the best place to search for everything. Apart from this, you can get a reference from your friends and family to get the best idea which painting contractor can work according to your requirements. Words of mouth always offer you the best possible advice as long as you can trust the people.
Additionally, you should look around when you drive home from work for advertisements and physical stores on the road. You should prepare a list of all the companies that came across to choose the right option as per your needs.
Get estimates from commercial painting contractors
Ask for quotations from contractors to get the best possible deal in the market. Have a set budget in your mind before you ask for the quotation. Be flexible with your budget. If you are getting a higher quality of service at a little higher cost then you should also consider the deal. Remember that getting a higher quality of contractors will end up in enhancing the look of your home or building.
Factors you should consider
The price is not only the thing that you have to consider while choosing a reputable contractor. You should also look for other information. Have a look at:
- Experience: The contractor you are choosing should have at least a few years of experience under his belt. The contractor who has worked in the same industry for many years has already faced the potential problems that can come across during a painting project so he/she will know the procedure to solve it. This is more important when your projects have high stakes.
Here we are not saying that you should not give a chance to newcomers. If a contractor has got all the good reviews and when the risk of the project is low then you can consider a newcomer for your project.
- Guarantee: Check what kind of guarantee they are providing to you. You should choose a contractor who offers some sort of hassle-free guarantee.
One should also consider claiming the warranty. Remember that most of the contractors will offer you a warranty but make sure the claiming process should not be a headache. Also, check their professionalism and customer service while deciding the right contractor.
- License and certifications: The contractor you are considering should have a proper license and certifications. Make sure that you are dealing with a legal company or contractor. The painting contractor must have general liability insurance and worker’s compensation insurance. So, it would not be your headache if something wrong happened with an employee during your project. A reputable contractor will show you all the certifications and licenses while on the other hand, a cheap contractor hesitates in showing the documents.
- Ask for references: You should not only listen to the words what a company or contractor says but also what the previous customers say about the contractor. Ask for the references from your friends and family and then call the contractor to inquire about their experience. You should also ask for the reference of the contractor’s past clients to get an idea of whether the contractor offers satisfactory work or not. You should also ask them about the company’s after-sales service too. This is the best way to choose the right painting contractor for your company.
- Interview potential contractors: When you have a lot of contractors on your list then it is time to interview all the potential contractors. Though this step will take a lot of time it is worth it. During the interview, you will get to know a lot about the contractors and will get an idea which contractor can offer you the quality work.
Make sure you ask these questions to the contractor:
- How many coats of paint do you use?
- Which process would you use for this project?
- What type of paint do you use?
- Do your employees use protective measures while working at heights?
- Do you have references to provide?
- With a little background knowledge of these questions, you will get a good idea of what kind of service the contractor can offer you.
Check out their customer services:
The contractor should entertain all your questions no matter how long a list of questions do you have. Of course, you will have a lot of questions because you are the owner of the property. They should also explain the answer in general language and in easy to understand terms.
Consider how fast they reply? Do they have a good response time? Do they take a lot of time before responding? Consider their customer service and then decide whether the company is the right choice for you. The customer service tells a lot about how the contractor will handle your issues if they encounter a problem during the project. They should always please their customers through good customer relations and quality service.
Questions you need to get answer to move forward with the confidence!
Is your contractor local?
There are many reasons why you should choose a local contractor and not a franchise chain of contractors. Local contractors can handle your problems in a better way.
Is the contractor highly reviewed?
Check the honest reviews given by the past clients of the contractor. If possible, you can contact their past clients who have given reviews to check whether the reviews are honest.
Is there an extensive preparation process in place?
Many contractors come in and paint as soon as it is possible and just jump on their next project. While on the other hand, some contractors start with fixing the damage parts to prepare the surface. This process includes priming, scraping, caulking and pressure washing for a perfect exterior. Usually, they let the house sit for a week after this process to prepare the surface completely to get the job done.
Apart from this, they carefully mask the non-painted surfaces. They inspect the property before the painting begins. So, before hiring a contractor, you should ask their process to do the task.
Does your vendor provide consultations?
Remember that choosing the right color is also equally important. You should choose a contractor who also provides consultations regarding colors.
Do you offer a reliable warranty?
Most of the good contractors are not afraid to put a reliable warranty because they know the quality of the work they provide. So choose a contractor who offers you the right warranty.
Do you offer referrals from past customers?
A good and well-reputed contractor would not hesitate while offering referrals to their past customers. Any good contractor will tell you a list of the homeowners for which he has worked before.
Do you have subcontractors?
If a contractor handover the task to its sub-contractors then higher are the chances that you would not get the satisfied results. Not only this will compromise the quality of the work offered but as well as you are not able to talk to them directly and to make them listen to what you want from them. You should always choose a contractor who does not work in the chain of the subcontractors to get completely satisfying results.
Check the contractor whether he is qualified for your tasks or not
In case if you want to get the paint done on an older building then the painter should be qualified and certified through the RRP (renovations, painting, and repair) program. The contractor should know how to handle the damaged parts of a building. They should be aware of the repair and restoration techniques. Apart from that if your building has a different and unique exterior then make sure that the contractor has worked for such surfaces before and he knows how to handle such tasks.
To give a new look to your home or commercial building and to enhance the monetary value of a building, it is important to choose the right commercial painting services.