It’s a scorcher! When it’s 95 degrees in the shade, Dallas homeowners grab a tall cold one. Then they’re likely to turn their attention to exterior home improvement projects. One of the most impactful and rewarding summertime endeavors is painting the exterior of your house. Not only will a new exterior paint job enhance the overall appearance of your home, but it will also provide protection against the elements and increase market value.
Below we’ll explore the art of exterior painting, its connection to the Dallas summer season, and provide valuable guidance for homeowners looking to begin this exciting project.
Why paint my home exterior?
Protect, refresh, and beautify
The exterior of your home is constantly exposed to harsh weather conditions, such as scorching sun (yup, here in Dallas you can literally fry an egg on that sidewalk), rain, wind, and humidity. Over time, these elements can take a toll on the surfaces, causing paint to fade, peel, and deteriorate. By investing in exterior painting, you can effectively protect your home from damage, preserve its structural integrity, and improve its curb appeal.
Why is summer the best time to paint my exterior?
Below we explain five important reasons.
- Favorable weather conditions: Summer in Dallas typically offers ideal weather conditions for exterior painting. To put it simply, it’s hot out there, and it’s gonna stay that way. Why is this good for painting? The heat allows the paint to dry and cure properly, resulting in a more durable and long-lasting finish. Unlike other seasons that may bring heavy rains or even snow to Dallas, the summer usually has little rain, averaging only 2-3 inches per month. This provides a stable environment for the paint to adhere and set effectively.
- Extended daylight hours: Summer days are longer, providing ample daylight for painting projects. More daylight means more time to work on the project without the constraints of darkness. Homeowners can take advantage of the long daylight hours to make significant progress and complete the job efficiently within a shorter timeframe.
- Faster curing time: The warm temperatures of summer mean faster drying and curing of the paint. This means that you as a homeowner can enjoy the full benefits of your freshly painted exterior sooner, without the need to wait for extended periods for the paint to fully dry and cure.
- Easier surface preparation: Exterior painting often requires surface preparation, such as cleaning, scraping, and sanding. During the summer, surfaces tend to be drier and free from excess moisture, making them easier to clean and prepare. This helps ensure better paint adhesion and a smoother application.
- Vibrant curb appeal: With the arrival of summer, Dallas neighborhoods come alive. Think lush greenery and blooming flowers. Painting the exterior of your home during this season can complement the vibrant colors of nature, enhancing your home’s curb appeal. The fresh coat of paint can breathe new life into your property, making it stand out and creating a welcoming and visually appealing atmosphere.
Overall, summer in Dallas provides the optimal conditions for exterior painting. You’ll achieve excellent results for your home, enjoy faster curing times, and maximize the visual impact of your home’s new look.
Summer palette: Earthy, bold, or cool
Summer-inspired color palettes to revitalize your home!
When it comes to selecting paint colors for the exterior, homeowners in Dallas have a unique opportunity to embrace the vibrant and energetic spirit of the Texan summer. The sunny climate and the dynamic landscape of the region inspire a wide range of color possibilities. From warm and sunny yellows reminiscent of the bright Texas sun to cool and refreshing blues that mirror the clear skies, the color choices can create a harmonious blend with your surrounding lawn and neighborhood and evoke a welcoming atmosphere.
Here’s our guide for selecting a new color for your home exterior:
- Earthy tones: One popular color trend for home exteriors in Dallas is to incorporate earthy tones that complement the natural surroundings. These hues, such as sandy beiges, warm terracotta, and soft greens, can blend seamlessly with the desert landscape, providing a sense of harmony and connection to the Texan outdoors. Earthy colors create an inviting and cozy ambiance, while also invoking the rich heritage and natural beauty of the region.
- Bold colors: You can also opt for bold color choices to reflect your unique personality and style. Think the vibrant shades of the Texas sunset. Fiery reds, deep oranges, or bold purples can add a touch of drama and individuality to the exterior of your home. Pair bold colors with more neutral tones to make a statement while creating a balanced, visually appealing aesthetic.
- Cool hues: Blues are known for creating a cool and refreshing ambiance. In the heat of the Texan summer, these shades can visually lower the perceived temperature and provide a soothing atmosphere. They imbue tranquility and calm, inviting your family and visitors alike to enjoy the outdoor spaces surrounding your home – whether it’s for a traditional Texas barbecue or a chill pool party. By incorporating cool and refreshing blues into the exterior color scheme, you’ll achieve a harmonious aesthetic that reflects the clear skies, embodying the relaxed and inviting spirit of the Texan summer.
- Express yourself and harmonize: When selecting the perfect color palette for the exterior, it’s essential to consider both personal preferences and the character of your neighborhood. While it’s exciting to express individual style, it’s also important to ensure that the colors you select will blend with the overall architectural style and existing color schemes nearby. A cohesive, unified look will enhance the curb appeal of your home and add charm to the entire neighborhood.
To sum up: Whether choosing warm earthy tones or bold and vibrant hues, the right color choices will transform the exterior of your home, making it stand out in the Texan summer while maintaining a sense of unity with the surroundings.
Click here for more tips on color choice.
Tips for painting in the summer heat
Timing, hydration, and shade
If you decide to paint the exterior by yourself, the sweltering temperatures of the Dallas summer months present a challenge. To help you conquer the heat and conquer your project, here are our practical tips and tricks for a smooth and successful painting experience.
- Time it right
Choosing the optimal time of day to paint is crucial. It’s best to avoid the peak heat hours, typically between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., when the sun is at its strongest. Instead, opt for early mornings or late afternoons when the temperatures are relatively cooler. This allows for more comfortable working conditions and helps prevent the paint from drying too quickly.
- Drink up
Staying hydrated is essential when working under the scorching sun. Make sure to drink plenty of water before, during, and after the painting session to stay properly hydrated. It’s a good idea to have a water bottle nearby and taking regular breaks in shaded areas to cool down and replenish fluids. Or mix up a jug of your favorite blend of Texas tea and add plenty of ice cubes.
- Cover up
Protecting oneself from the sun’s rays is crucial for both health and comfort. Wear lightweight, breathable clothing that covers the skin, such as long-sleeved shirts, pants, and wide-brimmed hats to shield yourself from direct sunlight. Don’t forget to apply sunscreen with a high SPF to exposed areas of the skin to prevent sunburn.
Utilizing shade strategically can provide relief from the intense heat. Set up temporary shelters, such as pop-up canopies or umbrellas, to create shaded work areas. Position your painting materials, tools, and supplies in shaded spots whenever possible to prevent them from overheating or drying out quickly.
By adopting these strategies, you can work efficiently and ensure a pleasant painting experience, even in the hot Texas summer temperatures. Then stand back and admire the results!
The choice is yours
Painting your home’s exterior is an optimum way to revitalize your home and protect it from the elements. Whether you choose to do it yourself or hire a professional team , the Dallas summer presents the perfect opportunity to breathe new life into the exterior of your home. Contact us at Dallas Paints for a free consultation and quote.